Thursday, February 26, 2015

Blog Post 7

"Teachers won't be replaced by technology, but will be replaced by teachers who use it". Those fifteen words sum up exactly what is going on in schools today- teachers and students having to adapt to the new world that we live in. Technology has become one of the central sources for information and instruction, and must be treated as such. According to Using iMovie and the Alabama Virtual Library, kindergarten students are using iMovie, making book trailers, editing their own work, and researching assigned topics on their own. These are projects that I, as a college student, occasionally struggle with, and these children excel in! It amazes me to see their ability to learn and adapt at such a young age.




We All Become Learners says that many times, students show teachers how to use a piece of technology! (Pause for a sigh of relief!) As an educator,  I will do my best to stay up to date on the latest technology and try to implement it into my classroom. At Gulf Shores Elementary school, they exceed the expectations for using technology in the classroom. Librarians and media instructors spend time with students to teach mechanics of different programs and applications before the students use it in their classroom. This guarantees that instructional time is not wasted.
Gulf Shores Elementary School also welcomes visitors at all times, as this validates what they are doing in the classroom.

iPads are a common technological tool in the classroom. iPads promote student engagement and proficiency. There are many apps for learning, such as some for spelling, demonstrating content knowledge, and even some that can be used in a special education classroom, says iPads in the Classroom.

Top 10 Reasons to Use Technology in Education includes a multitude of reasons why it is imperative to use technology in the classroom. These range from the pure fact that students love technology to professional development. Technology has been proven to improve test scores by its ability to reach different students through different learning methods. It can remove obstacles by amplifying the teacher voice and allowing the students to see the material better. Some people refer to these mini computers as a "functional teacher" (but to me, that seems a bit drastic).

As I continue my journey to become an educator, I am well aware of what is expected of me. I must be able to address students and their learning needs with the most up to date technology and information. This seems challenging, but it is also exciting. I will be giving my students skills that they will need in our new, computerized world. I do not think it will be a problem to get students excited about learning and using technology- many times, they teach the adult how to use it first!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Sarah,
    I too struggle with Macintosh features that kindergarteners excel in. It amazes me how we seem to think we have so much more knowledge and then it turns out that younger children have more knowledge than we do in specific areas! I believe that I need to learn much more about technology before I enter a classroom to teach, because I may show up and be lost! Times are continuously changing but for the better! Great post!

    ReplyDelete